[Rhodes22-list] Some Public School Programs Work Pretty Well

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Fri Oct 8 20:37:53 EDT 2004

   Roger,

        I wish I had such a plan to use when I got out of high school.
   My older brother got a full boat scholarship to the University of
   Maryland for Civil Engineering (he never completed his
   degree).  My parents paid for my sister to attend nursing school in
   Baltimore.   Both would come home on the weekends and drop their
   laundry off on Mom while they went out and partied with their friends.

      I graduated in the June of 1980.....right in the middle of the Iran
   Hostage Crisis and the re-start of the Selective Service registration
   for a possible draft.  Having not working hard enough during my senior
   year of high school, a scholarship was not in my future.  My father
   was drafted in WWII and being his favorite son :-) he did not me to be
   drafted should we go to war in Iran.  I decided to got to a trade
   school in Tulsa, Oklahoma to learn aircraft mechanics.  Pops promised
   to pay my tuition and buy me a used car.  Rent and food was my
   problem.

      We loaded my dad's old Chevy van with my few possesions and headed
   to Oklahoma.  The transmission in the van started to slip as we pulled
   into town.(an omen of things to come, but I failed to see the signs)
   Well, I registered for classes and found a roommate.  The only thing
   left was to find a used car dealer..so we headed out.  Imagine my
   surprise when we pulled up in front of the departures terminal at
   Tulsa International Airport.  He jumped out and his parting remark
   before disappearing into the crowd was "Get the transmission fixed and
   you got yourself a nice van!" (omen #2).

      I found a part time evening job and was settling in to my new life
   away at school. About four months later, I got a notice to see the man
   in the finance office.  He informed me that my tuition was already two
   months behind.  I assured him that it had to be a mistake because my
   dad was paying the tuition.  He handed me the telephone and I called
   my father long distance, at work, in D.C., and the conversation went
   just like this:

      "Hey Dad, I am sitting here in the finance office at school and the
   man here says that my tuition is two months behind!?"

      Dad:    "Oh yeah, I've been meaning to call you...(awkward
   silence).... You're on your own now kid...Sink or Swim!"   CLICK

   Todd