[Rhodes22-list] Politics - Quaint notion.

SVGravityLeak at aol.com SVGravityLeak at aol.com
Sat Oct 9 19:59:10 EDT 2004

Bill,

I understand Rummy was referring to the list.  I was just trying to extend
his premise to the national political forum.

Unfortunately, the politics of America confronting terrorism is becoming the
same as the old politics of confronting communism.  That is, those who seek
profit and political power are driving the discussion as well as the policy.

Too few in this country start with the understanding that people all over the
world are just like us in wanting self determination.  Our revolutionary
leaders called it "Liberty".  During our revolution, there was very little talk of
democracy--mostly talk of liberty.  True democracy came years later, about as
long as it took the Russians to achieve democracy after their revolution in
1918.

In forcing our will on other people by either invading their countries or
coercing their governments to join us in oppression, we violate the principles of
our founding fathers.  People deprived of liberty will sign up with whatever
the prevailing "ism" is to get back their liberty.  We saw that with the
Germans, the Vietnamese and now we see it with the Iraqis.

Fred

In a message dated 10/8/2004 11:34:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,