[Rhodes22-list] I must apologize to the list.

Jim White jdwhite at utpa.edu
Sun Oct 10 14:30:45 EDT 2004

Rummy:
I just tabbed up my logbook. Since splashing Le Menagerie in May I have
logged 20 trips. I figure they average around twenty miles total each (a
conservative estimate), so I believe that I'm somewhere around 400 miles.
Haven't bothered to turn on the GPS for many of them....It's been as much
therapy as anything.

We sailed yesterday afternoon (late) out to the Brazos Pass and back with
my wife at the helm the whole time. The pass was bigtime rough as the
recent tropical storm has sent a big old swell rolling into the bay. It was
a first for her. This is her first sailboat, heeling and reeling are all
new to her, ands frankly she's been more comfortable handling the sheets.

The wind was 8-10 NNE and perfect for reaching in both directions to and
from our homeport. We slipped beneath the Queen Isabella causeway in the
dark last night (a tricky proposition even in the light...funny windshifts
there), and DR all the way back to the harbor entrance, I just kicked back
and drank straight Flor de Cana and let the breeze and the sound of the
hull slipping through the water melt away all of the terrible stress of
last week. We arrived at the narrow harbor entrance just as the wind died.

I don't think I'll have to ask her to hold the tiller for a second again
while I go down below for drinks. In fact, I think I've been demoted to
railmeat!

jw