[Rhodes22-list] Sailing to weather

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Mon Oct 11 00:37:13 EDT 2004

There we were out there having a great time on Lake Minnetonka, south winds
at about 15 and temps in the high 60's.  We had our 175 reefed in to about
110 and full main.  We were having a ball and minding our own business when
all of a sudden, a C & C 24 (I think) comes from down wind of us and passes
us as if we were at anchor!  Granted, the 175 loses some sail shape at 110,
but this guy passed us going upwind like we were standing still.  I kept
saying to Mary Ann, How is he doing that?  We had our jib sheets inside the
shrouds and the main traveler to weather, CB all the way down (with some lee
helm) but still he made mincemeat out of us.  He pointed considerably higher
and sailed way faster.  Damn!  I wanted to follow him and see what would
happen going down wind, when we could shake out the 175, but after a half
hour, he was so far ahead that I could barely see him.  To avoid any further
depression, we fell off and went another direction.  Sigh!

Oh well, it was still a lovely fall day.  The colors are peaking here in
southern Minnesota and it was a gorgeous day.  We sailed over to one of the
ramps at the other side of the lake and helped some friends of ours haul out
their Cape Dory Typhoon 19.  Sweet boat!  We're all just about done for the
season.  8-(

Slim