[Rhodes22-list] Herb, what about Robin Hood?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Oct 11 02:34:06 EDT 2004

ah, Herb,

What I said was "We don't provide the same resources in black schools as we do in white schools.  That is as true here, in Greenwich, Connecticut as it is in the deep South."  Is this the "outrageous claim" you are referring to?  Do you think black schools get the same funding as white schools?

As I understand the "Robin Hood" initiative, it was enacted to level the unequal amounts available in different school districts so all kids in Texas can get an equal education.  Further, it is my understanding that it is color blind, and that 9 out of 10 school districts in Texas are net beneficiaries.

Do I have that wrong?

The point I was trying to make is that despite the fact that Greenwich, CT spends twice as much per student as Texas spends on each student, even here we manage to short change the schools in the less prosperous parts of town.  (Yes, there are black kids in Greenwich--our school population closely mirrors national averages.)

Bill Effros

To download a free copy of the electronic book "Quote Without Comment"

Click on or copy this address and load it into your web browser:
http://www.quotewithoutcomment.com/qwc.cgim?template=FreeBook

Want to see more quotes?
http://www.QuoteWithoutComment.com