[Rhodes22-list] Herb, what about Robin Hood?

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 04:26:28 EDT 2004

Herb & Bill.

After living in "The South" for 27 years I consider
myself more Southern than Yankee for what that's
worth.  My first experience with race and the school
systems was when I lived in Little Rock.  I moved to
Little Rock in 1978 and bought my first house in a
"mixed" neighborhood.  Here that doesn't mean Irish
and Italian, it means black and white.  It wouldn't
have mattered to me if it was mostly Martian, it was a
nice neighborhood and I could afford it.  The
neighborhood kids played together at the pool, played
baseball in the streets, etc.  The parents BBQ'd
together, drank beer, loaned sugar, etc., like
neighbors do.  The school bus, or I should say busses,
picked the kids up right in front of my house. The
white kids got on one bus to go to a school in a run
down part of town.  Another bus picked up the black
kids to take them to a school to a better part of
town.  Another school, a few blocks from the
neighborhood, had kids bussed in from other parts of
town.  Why?  Some federal judge in St. Louis decided
to "balance" the school system.  It was nuts. Who
could blame anyone with the resources to say, "the
hell with it, I'm putting my kids in private school,
let them experiment with someone else's".  That's
exactly what I did.

I don't have a problem giving extra money to problem
schools but at some point, you have to draw a line and
look at other issues than money.  Frankly, I don't
think the federal government has any business in
schools at all, it's a state issue.  The further from
home control and funding of schools get, the less
interest parents and taxpayers have in their schools.

This is no longer 1957 or 1964.  The old stereotypes
die hard though.  The issue has become so confused by
PC that to even discuss it can earn you a label.

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"

http://www.quotewithoutcomment.com/qwc.cgim?template=FreeBook