[Rhodes22-list] Sailing to weather

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 11 09:52:52 EDT 2004

C&C made some fast boats. There is a C&C 30 footer around here that smokes
plenty of J Boats. If his boat had god sails, clean bottom, and decent
skipper he should smoke you. I don't have a 170 but have always felt that
furling down to 110 would limit upwind ability.  Did you have any way to
measure speed? Were you at least making 5 knots upwind?

I would try furling the main first then furling genny down to about 150 or
so. In 15 you might want to try centered traveler.

Regarding your prop = I have a 2 stroke Merc 6 hp that pushes my boat 6.9
mph at full throttle. This was measured by GPS with little wind and current.
I have no idea what size prop I have. (I keep my GPS in MPH rather than
knots because everything on the river is measured in miles) I like to run
just backed off full power; this pushes me along around 6.2.

Wally