[Rhodes22-list] Need To Know - Nuclear materials 'vanish' in Iraq

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Oct 12 13:19:37 EDT 2004

Guys,

1st of all, let me admit I have no specific knowledge in this instance
regarding the disappearance of nuclear materials in Iraq.  However, during
the 1st Gulf War, I held a DoD security clearance at the level of SECRET, as
a consequence of certain projects I was working on.  I have a little
understanding of how sensitive security matters are handled, especially in
time of war.  No matter your security clearance level, everyone is not told
everything that is going on that their security clearance level might
entitle them to know.  Some one with an appropriate security clearance must
approve an individual's "need to know".  i.e., this individual needs to know
something in order to save their life or do their job.

Saddam Hussein also apparently had a highly compartmentalized or "need to
know' security philosophy regarding how he ran Iraq's WMD programs.
Since the UN weapons inspection program had tagged these Iraqi facilities,
the US certainly knew about them.  I will make a fearless prediction that it
is
the US that is dismantling & removing those sites.  If I were in charge of
that
effort, I would not announce it until after all the sites were gone & the
materials in them secure.  Because of Sadaam's highly compartmentalized
security system and the number of folks captured during & since the war,
the Iraqi insurgents may not be aware of these sites.  Why make security
more difficult for the highly specialized teams dismantling these sites by
announcing their locations to the Iraqi insurgents?

Likewise, the UN does not have a "need to know" while the dismantling
operation is on going.  They do not have any personnel at risk in the
operation & their knowing about it only creates another potential security
leak which might put American personnel at risk.

I would not be surprised to hear the US make an announcement regarding
the dismantling & removal of these sites in the near future.  With prior
knowledge from the UN weapons inspectors regarding these sites, if the
US allowed them to fall into enemy hands; then, this would amount to a
criminal level of incompetence.  Heads should roll if we screwed up that
badly!  Of course, stranger things have happened.  Stay tuned!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium