[Rhodes22-list] Sextants

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Oct 12 15:59:03 EDT 2004

Bill,

You mean you don't triangulate compass bearings to determine a position fix
independently of GPS?  Why do you think they make hand bearing compasses?  I
have a bearing compass built-in to my Bushnell 7X50 marine binoculars.  This
type of position fix is one of the 1st things they teach in any navigational
course.  It's been my experience that I can reliably shoot a compass bearing
to better than +/-5 degrees accuracy, even from the deck of a small boat.  I
only apply the local magnetic declination for a correction factor, which is
printed on any navigational chart.  I stand away from magnetic metals when I
take the compass bearing & assume the deviation correction is zero.  Since
we're talking about coastal navigation here, the distances involved are not
global in scope.  Many landmarks are difficult to recognize over a mile
away.  Over a mile, a 5 deg error in compass bearing causes a position error
of:

[Error] = 5280 ft * tan(5) = 462 ft.

With two or three overlapping compass bearings to triangulate on known
landmarks, the errors in the individual lines of position tend to cancel out
& the final position accuracy is usually good to +/- a couple hundred feet
as checked against GPS.  OK, it's not GPS accuracy.  But, the individual
compass bearings are quick to plot on the chart - much quicker than a
sextant sighting can be worked up.  No batteries, no calculator to fail at
the wrong moment, no books of tables, & it works on a cloudy or overcast day
or night.  Just a bearing compass, a chart, a parallel ruler, & a pencil.

As far as the laser rangefinder not being able to lock onto a target quickly
enough from the deck of a small boat, that doesn't seem to be a problem.
You put the crosshairs on the target which is magnified 7X, push a button, &
the distance measurement is made essentially instantly.  You can repeat the
measurement & recall the last 10 readings to check reproducibility.  I
suppose you could average those 10 readings if you wanted even better
accuracy.  The instrument also makes a measurement of the reflected laser
light off the target & reports a "target quality" index to alert you if you
might be getting a bad reading due to insufficient signal.

I believe it's prudent to have as many options as possible to determine
one's position.  A compass bearing & laser range to a known landmark would
certainly be better than a dead reckoning plot.  I'm not claiming my laser
rangefinder is the ultimate aid to navigation or even the 1st instrument I'd
purchase.  But, it adds coastal navigational capability &, for many
purposes, it would be good enough.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium