[Rhodes22-list] A little help by way of sailing etiquette

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 14:06:15 EDT 2004

Hi all, my next class wants me to include sailing etiquette into the
plethera of information I am already providing, I think this a good addition
to the lesson.  I thought of a few things but I am sure it is incomplete.
If there are any humerous senarios please contribute - people learn much
better when they are happy.  Here is what I have so far.  Thanks in advance.

Bob Weber

Always wait on the dock until you are welcomed aboard another persons boat

Spots at an anchorage are on a first come first serve basis.  (some would
claim that this is a hard and fast rule – especially if you are ducking
dangerous weather)  Therefore if one boat swings into another the boat that
arrived last is at fault.

When overtaking another sailboat – ie. You can sail faster than him – you
have the choice of passing him on the leeward or windward side.  Pass on the
leeward side if you feel sorry for the poor slep.  Pass on the windward side
(close enough to hear his sigh and steal his wind) if want to exacerbate his
humiliation.  I like to have a camera ready at this point.  Not only to
capture the moment but also to offer said skipper a picture of their boat
under sail as a peace offering.

When sailing into a foreign port (hopefully you will use this one) you fly a
yellow “Q” flag until you clear customs.  This is a quarantine flag, telling
all locals to stay away until they are sure you don’t have any dirty
American germs (and have paid your fees to the host country).  After
clearing in you fly the flag of their country in place of the Q flag.  This
is called a courtesy flag.  There is a bunch of other flag etiquette rules
that are steeped in history such as the correct placement of native flag,
courtesy flag, etc.  Here is a link for more information on this.
http://www.sailonline.com/seamanship/Flag_etiquette.html

When you are on the dock and you see another boat coming in to dock.  Don’t
automatically start helping the inbound boat.  Your gesture of kindness can
result in a tirade of obscenities from the skipper and all the mistakes he
made will be blamed on you.  Ask the person if he wants “a catch” and about
¾ of the boats will take you up on the offer the others consider it an
insult or hindrance.

When on another person’s boat allow the skipper to make all the mistakes
they want without you saying a word (if they put you in mortal danger –
shame on you for putting yourself in their trust)

Always bring much more beer than you could possibly use.  It is money on the
docks and you will always find someone in need of charity.

If you ask someone to crew for you for a race, you are expected to provide
lunch and soft drinks and tell them if you have any rules about drinking
while racing.