[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Reply to Wally on Mohammed, Prophet of Doom

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 14 09:41:31 EDT 2004

Ed,

I wish my original email was still in this thread. Your email leads me to
believe you did not read it. I don't have a proposal other than what I said
in my email Please reread for your answers. To clarify -

I clearly said the Oil for Food program was a disaster.

I clearly said that indications from Iraq would lead one to conclude that
the WMDs were gone and that the sanctions were helping.

I clearly said we should have focused on Afghanastan. At the same time we
should have continued in Iraq with sanctions. We could have used this time
reviewing intelligence info, and trying to build support. Attacking 2
countries was not a good military strategy. When you add the fact that the
main reason for attacking was based on bad intelligence you have now created
a first class cluster f***.

Yes you are correct; Iraq and other terrorists have not attacked us since we
blew up Iraq. I don't remember Iraq attacking us before we attacked either.
What about my post lead you to believe I didn't think we should use force
against our enemies?  I was all for showing force in going after Bin Laden.
We should have taken a harder look at our relationship with the Saudi's. You
and others may not appreciate using common sense when developing a war
strategy but some of us do.

Iraq is not 911. The real problem is we reacted out of fear and misguided
revenge. We were worried about our oil. We don't understand these people and
that scares the shit out of us. We can't let that cause us to make knee jerk
reactions. We can't ignore military history, ancient cultures, and common
sense as the current plan has.

So my plan for the mess we are now in? Obviously we have to make sure the
elections take place. After that I suspect we will do everything we can to
bring in outside support while trying to make sure that we control as much
of the money as possible.

So as you say the situation will drag on for years.
Sigh .......

Wally