[Rhodes22-list] Peter Thorn's Question

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Oct 14 10:59:16 EDT 2004

Ed,

Actually, I prefer to protect the cylinder walls & piston rings over the
winter with an oil with more film strength & higher viscosity.  I squirt
some 90 wt gear lube into the spark plug hole & then turn the engine over by
hand a couple of times to evenly distribute the oil.  I believe the 90 wt
gear lube clings to the moving pieces/parts better, inhibits rust better, &
results in less start-up wear next spring than would occur with a lower
viscosity oil.  But 2-cycle oil would certainly be better than no oil.

A few seconds of smoky exhaust during the 1st start-up in the spring is
negligible when it permits the engine to last many years longer.  Longer
engine life saves the energy, pollution cost, and resources associated with
junking the engine prematurely and building a new engine from scratch.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium