[Rhodes22-list] Outboard Repair

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 07:17:37 EDT 2004

Bill,

It is a lot more fun when we disagree on other
matters.  The most important thing to do with a
2-stroke is to run the engine, either shut off the
fuel supply, or run it until the tank is empty (either
way, empty the tank for the winter).  Any fuel left in
the tank, fuel lines, or cylinder walls will "gum"
over the winter.  You chemists on the list can analyze
the gum.  The best solution for the cylinder walls is
a good misting of WD-40.  The WD stands for water
displacement and it provides lubrication for start-up,
keeps moisture from forming on the cylinder walls, and
will burn on start-up. It is not a bad idea to re-mist
before start-up in the spring.  This prevents stuck
rings and softens any rust or "gums" that formed over
the winter.

This is the technique we used on piston aircraft
engines when they were "moth-balled".  If you stain
your clothes while performing this task, WD-40 is also
a good stain remover.  Never tried inhaling the stuff,
might be good for that too!

Brad Haslett