[Rhodes22-list] Outboard Repair

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 08:06:39 EDT 2004

Bill,

I wasn't speaking of mothballing in the desert.  We
did this to A/C in the Midwest for planes that were
not going to fly over the winter.  Any gasoline
mixture will develop "varnishs" if left in place too
long. Also, moisture forms in the tanks which is
precisely why aircraft are regularly sumped.  When I
flew corporate jets I ran my diesel Rabbit on the
Jet-A we sumped. The 2-cycle mixture forms "gums" more
rapidly than regular gasoline.  The technique I
refered to is good for both types.

All internal combustion engines, including jets, run
on the same principle - Suck/Squeeze/Bang/Blow.
Getting any piston engine ready for an idle period
seeks the same goals, keep moisture out of the
cylinders, provide lubrication on start-up, don't let
fuel in the tanks and lines "go bad".  Gasoline does
have a shelf life!

Your description of 4-cycle engine start-up is not
exactly correct.  Oil is splashed on the cylinder
walls AFTER start-up just as on a 2-stroke oil is
provided via the fuel AFTER start-up.  What you want
is a nice slick lubricated cylinder wall so the rings
don't stick or gouge until the engine's
self-lubrication begins.

You'll have better luck getting me to change my vote
than to back off on this.  It ain't rocket surgery!

Brad Haslett