[Rhodes22-list] Politics

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 15 17:54:24 EDT 2004

Why wait 4 years to say "I told you so".  This president has been a
complete disaster and the fact that he is even in the race is a sad
comment on the judgement of the American people and the efficiency
of the PR machine.  He has:

- Invaded a country for reasons that were just wrong, despite protests of
  many of our friends and allies.  Defended that invasion for a different
 set of reasons and has stuck our country with a problem that will linger
for
 decades.  There are a whole lot more people with strong personal reasons
 to hate the US and will be willing to resort to terrorism to get their
revenge.

- Before the war there were MANY warnings about the lack of planning for
  the "peace".  Clearly the administration did not have a realistic plan,
misjudged
  the situation that has ensued, and is at a loss for an effective response.

- We went from a substantial surplus to a record deficit.  Not all GB's
fault but the
  tax cut, weighted toward the higher income folks, is a major contribution.
The
  combination of this and the huge trade deficit is a problem that our
children and
  grandchildren will be dealing with.

- He has consistantly made decisions on policy matters based on conservative
  doctrine rather than rational policy.  The recent protest by Nobel Prize
winners
  cites detailed instances where decisions and appointments, previously
based on
  scientific advice and reputation are now based on politics.

- He has instituted an education policy based on testing which many
districts have
  found so restricting that they have forfeit federal dollars rather than
participate.
  Much of this is based on the Houston(?) program which whose success has
turned
  out to be based on fraudulent reporting.

- Are arrogent unilateral policies (the war, global warming, world court)
have
  alienated our friends.  The world and it's problems are increasingly
intertwined
  the "go it alone" policy won't work.

The country has real problems. Terrorism is one (I personnally think that we
were
in greater danger in the cold war with hundreds of millions of lives
balanced on a
hair trigger - but somehow people got used to it and it doesn't seem so
bad).
The loss of manufacturing and, more seriously, the loss of associated
infrastructure that will allow innovation (I have had to buy most high tech
parts
from Europe or Japan) is an issue which we will have to face sooner rather
than
later.  W has not really faced these issues, Kerry may not succeed with them
either
but I would like to see someone leading this country who will make rational
judgements
based on unbiased thought and analysis.

Ron Lipton