[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22' for sale in Bar Harbor, ME

Ron Bonnevie vitalunion at juno.com
Fri Oct 15 21:54:19 EDT 2004

Hello Rhodes list members,

I just wanted to add a thread concerning a 1981 Rhodes I have for sale
for $4000.00. Any interested parties can email me directly at:
vitalunion at hotmail.com  Thanks, Ron B.
Here are the particulars....

The boat is overall in great condition! The sails are very good and the
only
need is a little re-sewing of the weather strip at the tail of the jib
sail.
3 years ago I used two pieces of professional sail repair to prevent the
extension of a small 1" tear that started in the corner of the main
sail's
weather strip. It has not had any trouble since. These sails have been
stored indoors for all the winter seasons I've owned the boat, and the
main
sail is an inner furling sail, so it has been kept quite dry and moisture
free throughout.
The bow and stern rails are aluminum and I would replace them with
stainless
steel because they tend to wobble due to the riveted joints. A machine
shop
here gave me a quote of a couple hundred $ for both.
The cabin is rustic and the seats may need some new upholstering in a
couple
of years. A fresh piece of indoor/outdoor carpet wouldn't hurt any
either.
The windows all are solid without any leaks, the fridge works well, but
the
sink needs to have the electric pump re-connected. Corrosion severed the
original wire contacts, and I don't use the sink for fresh water at all
so I
haven't bothered to fix it. The pump is still functional though. Overall
the
cabin is still quite nice with teak and wood trim that I have oiled every
season. The exterior door is newly pollied, and the teak trim outside is
oiled as well.
The three external seats in the cockpit will need a new upholstering
soon,
as they are more weathered and starting to fade.
The boom, furling mast, furling jib, the shrouds and stays are all in
great
working order, as well as the rudder & stick.
The 9.9 hp Mariner outboard is a 1987, but works like a charm and has
been
maintained religiously with fresh bottom unit oil every season. It has an
electric and pull-cord start, and I never had it fail to start ever!
The condition of the hull itself is great, with the standard maintenance
needs of a fresh jell coat, bottom paint after some sanding of older
rough
spots. There are no exterior cracks or leaks that I know of. There is a
slow
leak that goes up into the keel hold, and some water does collect inside
the
keel well under the cabin floor boards, but there is a small bilge pump
in
the well that always takes care of that without incident! There is very
easy access to the well. The drop keel/diamond board will probably need
some
scraping of barnacles this year to allow more freedom of movement inside
the
keel hold.
All the lines are good, and there are extras for tying off to slips.
The jib winches need some barlube grease to be more fluid in their use,
and
I would install a couple new tooth cleats for securing the lines. (they
sometimes slip in gusty winds).
There is a nice pop-top over the galley that secures easily into the
mast, I
also have a boom tarp to cover the cockpit area for shade or overnight
outdoor sleeping.
There are two nice danforth anchors, one at the bow in an anchor hold,
and
another for storm anchoring below.
The rear aft stow is decently clean and hold all weather gear, bumpers,
preservers, etc., nicely.
So that's it the long and the short of it. I don't think I left anything
out, and as you can see it is a great boat with little it needs to shine.
It
is a true bargain, and if you decide to come up for a visit before
November,
I will be happy to take you out in it before I trailer it for the winter.
By the way, the trailer is specially designed, in excellent shape, newly
greased wheels, and has new running lights.