[Rhodes22-list] Pushing the envelope.

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sun Oct 17 10:11:56 EDT 2004

Well, yesterday was an adventure. The weather forecast called for very
strong winds and there was a lake wind advisory for Lake Hartwell. My kind of  day,
or so I thought. We motored out of the marina and met up with Captain Bob
Keller (Yankee Clipper). Being the prudent sailors that we were, the first thing
 we did was raft up and got a few drinks in us before we sailed. About an
hour  later, one of the members of my crew received a phone call and needed to be
 taken back to the marina. I pulled the genny out to about 40% and headed
down  wind. As we got further into the middle of the lake, it finally dawned on
me  that we had to much sail out. The winds were pretty steady at 28 mph and
the  gusts were unreal. I have never seen the lake this rough. The waves were a
good  three feet high and the crest of the waves were being blown away by the
wind.
Made it to the marina and my good sense took over and we stayed at the  dock.
Unfortunately Capt. Bob had to go into the wind all the way home. He put  on
his rain gear, lowered the pop top and closed everything up as much as
possible. He said it was one wet ride, but made it home in one piece.
I think I have found the limits of the Rhodes 22.

Rummy