[Rhodes22-list] Re: Rhodes22-list Digest, Vol 564, Issue 1

Loumoore at aol.com Loumoore at aol.com
Mon Oct 25 22:28:46 EDT 2004

Ok I can't resist a few political comments, especially for my friends in
swing states who did not experience the blow of 9/11 directly.

President Bush declared today that Senator Kerry still has not grasped the
signifance of the war in Iraq as a campaign against terror.  Bush insists that
in fighting the war in Iraq we are actually fighting terrorists on the front
lines who have come to that country to wage war on our troups.  I am confused.

Is the president now suggesting that it is a positive development that Iraq
has become a breeding ground and magnet for terrorists?

I also read today that nearly 400 tons of extremely dangerous and powerful
explosives that should have been guarded have vanished.  It seems that in the
"new Iraq" terrorists go in and dangerous weapons go out through unmonitored
borders

Meanwhile recent reports indicate that Saudi Arabian citizens continue to
supply the insurgency in Iraq with funds.

Three weeks before I was married I saw the Towers burn and collaspe from near
my home town.  My best friend just made it out of the World Financial Center
before the South Tower came down.  My wife's best friend lost her cousin in
the North Tower.  The children of two close friends have served or are serving
in Iraq.  Almost everyone I know has been directly affected by 9/11.  If you
did not see the aftermath in NYC firsthand, you only grasped 1 percent of the
blow it had on the people living here.  I will never forget it.

Here is my point:

If Bush's leadership on terrorism and national security has inspired so much
confidence, why are New Yorkers and New Jerseyans, the two states hit hardest
by the terrorists, decisively rejecting his flawed leadership?

I guess if I lived in Norman, Oklahoma, I would feel confident about the
president's ability to lead and protect the nation from the enemy.  Fifteen miles
away from ground zero, I have absolutely zero confidence in Bush's ability to
protect my country and my family and bring justice to our enemies.

As a proud member of a navy family, I will vote with great enthusiasm for
John Kerry.