[Rhodes22-list] Florida Disater Response Trip

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Oct 26 21:33:11 EDT 2004

Julie,

I'm sure the local Punta Gorda economy could use the tourist dollars.
However, although the charter boat fleet may still be operational, you might
want to do some checking regarding how many marinas and other shoreside
facilities will be up and running.  For example, the Punta Gorda Holiday
Inn, an upscale luxury resort hotel complex with its own marina &
restaurants, is slated for complete demolition.  You may be somewhat limited
in your choice of facilities and amenities if you are going this Christmas.

Most of my time down there was spent running a chainsaw and hauling away
storm debris.  So, I didn't have much of a chance to access the vacation
potential of the area.  However, from what I observed from the car as we
were driving to and from various job sites, there are a lot of public and
commercial buildings with massive damage.  For example, the Punta Gorda
hospital is missing its roof & all the windows are blown out of the top 2-3
floors.  The hospital staff is working out of trailers in the hospital's
parking lot.  Many restaurants seemed to be boarded up & abandoned.   Many
other buildings that may have been restaurants are simply piles of rubble.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium