[Rhodes22-list] Slim's Music

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 16:48:43 EDT 2004

Fred,
I can certainly recommend the G4.  I love mine even though it's not being
used to its full potential.  Mine is the desk top version with 1 GHz
processor and not the titanium lap top, which is a lot more expensive.
Also, the desk top model allows for more expansion.  I also saved some money
by using my old CRT monitor and passed on the new flat screen.  Most people
I know who do computer-assist music recording at the professional level use
Macs and Pro Tools recording software.  The Mbox is made by Digidesign--same
as Pro Tools.  Good stuff but expensive.  The Mbox is an analogue to digital
converter as well as a mixer, and is a necessary piece of hardware if you
want to plug in anything analogue such as a microphone (for singing or
micing up an acoustic guitar for example).

I don't know how advanced your daughter wants to get with her recording but
this gear is professional quality and will carry her a long way.  If I were
building a studio, I would probably start with exactly that.

Good luck,

Slim