[Rhodes22-list] Reefer Madness

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 28 12:28:39 EDT 2004

Lou, That was my project last off season.  I found an inexpensive system at
Sailrite.com
http://secure.sailrite.com/value/viewcart.asp?CartId={EVERESTE5AD9975-C9A5-4333-9D7C-4CD8583CF145}&Tp=&VCT=&WERR=
It is simple and straight forward.  It has been effective even when I failed
to follow the "Reef Early" moto.  You sail a close hauled course under
headsail, unsheet the main.    You pull one line which is lead forward along
the boom to about the companion way and it pulls the boom up to the new
clew.  Drop the halyard to a preset point.  Pull on a second line which is
lead to the cleat at the base of the mast to secure the new (reefed) tack.
Your done.  Never left the cockpit, assuming you have lead the main halyard
aft to the cockpit already.  The kit provides grommets for the clew and tack
but I had this done by Sail Care duing the prior season.  I feel much better
in the grommets that they put in (plus the sail reinforcing) rather than the
ones supplied in the kit.  The cleaning of my main and the addition of 2
reaf points and a full batten at the top only ran about 140.  I recommend it
highly.  If I missed a point drop me a note.  I have sailed with a reefed
main as often as not so don't put it off or you will miss some good sailing
days next season.  Bob