[Rhodes22-list] Merc 2 stroke 6hp

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Oct 28 14:57:54 EDT 2004

Peter,

I'm with Ed on this.  (I just wanted to say that--I'm with Bob, too.)

I have an 8 and I generally feel it is more than I need.  I can hit hull speed at less than 1/2 throttle when everything is flat and calm.  When I'm out in small craft advisory conditions I'm glad to have the 8 at 3/4 throttle rather than a 6 at full throttle.

I've used a small electric motor, also, as a test, and flat and calm it will move the boat.  I plan to play some more with electric motors next year to test my "hybrid" concept.  This would be a gas-electric-sail hybrid in which I would use quiet electric along with sail in some cruising conditions where otherwise I would be exclusively on gas.  I think this should work any time I am not sailing directly into the wind.

I imagine I will be able to "make my own wind" by moving the boat forward using the electric motor.  Do I understand this concept correctly?

Bill

"Are You Safer Today Than You Were 4 Years Ago?"

www.QuoteWithoutComment.com