[Rhodes22-list] Draftdodger/cowards

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Thu Oct 28 19:44:39 EDT 2004

My dear Friend Steve,

For one who is to young to have been part of the Vietnam era, you certainly
are quick to judge and label. Granted, there probably were a few people that
went to Canada because they were scared and didn't want to die. As a Vietnam era
vet, I won't hold it against them. People have a right in this country to
disagree with our government and if they don't like it, they have a right to
leave and live elsewhere.
In 1970 I was a private stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC when I received my orders
for Vietnam duty. When I went home on leave prior to shipping out, I was
pressured and given the opportunity by family and friends to move to Canada and set
up a new life if I had wanted. They offered tens of thousands of dollars to
help me. They were very persuasive, but I was up for an adventure and went
anyway. I personally know people that went to Canada. Not all were cowards. The
draft boards in those days weren't so considerate of conscientious objectors,
even for religious grounds.
Until you have been there and had to face those same tough decisions, don't
be so quick to label people as cowards. I don't know if you are simply
attempting to stir up the list again, as is your usual mode of operation, but there
are several hundred people on this list, not all share you viewpoints, tolerance
of others views is what freedom is all about.

Rummy