[Rhodes22-list] Swing States

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Fri Oct 29 16:55:56 EDT 2004

Herb,
I can only speak for Minnesota.  The Republicans have done nothing but cut
ed funds every year they had the chance.  Or dems have tried to boost it but
got vetoed by former Republican or Independent (Jesse Ventura) Governors.
Nobody is getting more.  Everybody is getting less.  Almost every district
in the state is cutting.  The Minneapolis district alone is closing at least
a dozen schools.  I hear Bush saying he's increased ed funds but we just
don't see it at the classroom level.  That money goes mostly for new testing
with the NCLB Act but falls short of actually paying for it.  This means the
work load for teachers has increased but the money's not there to cover it.
That translates to less time the teachers have to actually teach.  Or
rather, they have to spend a lot more time teaching how to take tests.
Slim