[Rhodes22-list] Swing States

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 08:23:09 EDT 2004

Herb and Slim,

Perhaps its not fair for me to knock our public
education system since I chose not to participate with
my own children.  However, I do pay taxes to support
one, so here goes.

Why is the federal government involved in the local
school districs to begin with?  Shouldn't this be a
state and local issue?  The further control of a
government entity gets from home, the less control you
have over it.  I don't vote as a partisan below the
state level, I vote for the best candidate.  Slim, if
a Republican school administrator screwed up your
school, get rid of her.  Organize a parental group to
protest her policies.  You can do that on the local
level, its much more difficult when you're dealing
with Washington.

The 9/11 issue of whether Bush should have continued
reading to school kids or bolt out of the room IS an
issue with me.  The President of the United States
shouldn't be addressing problems that rightly belong
to the local communities. Bush should never have been
there to begin with! However, since we've evolved to
the place in time where "they" whoever "they" may be
and not our local government is responsible for our
schools, we have to deal with federal mandates.  NCLB
is nothing more than a market mechanism that lets
parents know whether a school is performing or not.
Its still up to the parents and the local taxpayers to
make the changes, not some beauracrat in DC.

People get the idea that as long as the money for
something, ie, schools, roads, sewers, etc., comes
from the federal level, its someone elses money.  Its
your money.  When its raised locally, spent locally,
and controlled locally, taxpayers are more demanding
and administrators are more accountable.

How we got the idea that 535 clowns in DC along with
the President is responsible for our schools is beyond
me.

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"

=== message truncated ===