[Rhodes22-list] Politics - Bin Laden Tape

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 08:39:05 EDT 2004

Kerry: Bush Outsourced Bin Laden Video Production

(2004-10-30) -- Just hours after the release of a
videotape featuring revered Muslim leader Usama bin
Laden lecturing on theology, Democrat presidential
hopeful John Forbes Kerry slammed President George
Bush for encouraging the outsourcing of such video
productions to overseas media companies.

"Here we have the most highly-watched video production
of the year and yet, as far as we know, not a single
American director, screenwriter, producer, best boy,
gaffer or key grip made a single dollar from it," said
Mr. Kerry. "And they didn't make it here because this
administration provides incentives to take this kind
of work overseas. When I'm president, we're going to
bring it back home to the USA."

Meanwhile, in Hollywood, pundits mused about how the
new Bin Laden video will affect Michael Moore's
chances for the Best Picture Oscar.

One unnamed industry insider summarized the issue this
way: "You've got two big stars going head to head--or
ballcap to turban, as it were--with films that
basically make the same point. America loves Michael
Moore, but the Academy loves to see positive
portrayals of religion. The Oscar could go either
way."