[Rhodes22-list] We're Not in Lake Wobegon Anymore

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Sep 2 22:08:22 EDT 2004

Here's another view, folks, admirably expressed.

We're Not in Lake Wobegon Anymore

By Garrison Keillor

August 26, 2004

Something has gone seriously haywire with the
Republican Party. Once, it was the party of pragmatic
Main Street businessmen in steel-rimmed spectacles who
decried profligacy and waste, were devoted to their
communities and supported the sort of prosperity that
raises all ships. They were good-hearted people who
vanquished the gnarlier elements of their party, the
paranoid Roosevelt-haters, the Flat Earthers and
Prohibitionists, the antipapist antiforeigner element.

The genial Eisenhower was their man, a genuine
American hero of D-Day, who made it OK for reasonable
people to vote Republican. He brought the Korean War
to a stalemate, produced the Interstate Highway
System, declined to rescue the French colonial army in
Vietnam, and gave us a period of peace and prosperity,
in which (oddly) American arts and letters flourished
and higher education burgeoned and there was a degree
of plain decency in the country. Fifties Republicans
were giants compared to today's. Richard Nixon was the
last Republican leader to feel a Christian obligation
toward the poor.

In the years between Nixon and Newt Gingrich, the
party migrated southward down the Twisting Trail of
Rhetoric and sneered at the idea of public service and
became the Scourge of Liberalism, the Great Crusade
Against the Sixties, the Death Star of Government, a
gang of pirates that diverted and fascinated the media
by their sheer chutzpah, such as the misty-eyed flag-
waving of Ronald Reagan who, while George McGovern
flew bombers in World War II, took a pass and made
training films in Long Beach. The Nixon moderate
vanished like the passenger pigeon, purged by a legion
of angry white men who rose to power on pure punk
politics. "Bipartisanship is another term of date
rape," says Grover Norquist, the Sid Vicious of the
GOP. "I don't want to abolish government. I simply
want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into
the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." The boy has
Oedipal problems and government is his daddy.

The party of Lincoln and Liberty was transmogrified
into the party of hairy-backed swamp developers and
corporate shills, faith-based economists,
fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of
convenience, freelance racists, misanthropic frat
boys, shrieking midgets of AM radio, tax cheats,
nihilists in golf pants, brownshirts in pinstripes,
sweatshop tycoons, hacks, fakirs, aggressive dorks,
Lamborghini libertarians, people who believe Neil
Armstrong's moonwalk was filmed in Roswell, New
Mexico, little honkers out to diminish the rest of us,
Newt's evil spawn and their Etch-A-Sketch president, a
dull and rigid man suspicious of the free flow of
information and of secular institutions, whose
philosophy is a jumble of badly sutured body parts
trying to walk.

Republicans: The No.1 reason the rest of the world
thinks we're deaf, dumb and dangerous.

Rich ironies abound! Lies pop up like toadstools in
the forest! Wild swine crowd round the public trough!
Outrageous gerrymandering! Pocket lining on a massive
scale! Paid lobbyists sit in committee rooms and write
legislation to alleviate the suffering of
billionaires! Hypocrisies shine like cat turds in the
moonlight! O Mark Twain, where art thou at this hour?
Arise and behold the Gilded Age reincarnated gaudier
than ever, upholding great wealth as the sure sign of
Divine Grace.

Here in 2004, George W. Bush is running for reelection
on a platform of tragedy, the single greatest failure
of national defense in our history, the attacks of
9/11 in which 19 men with box cutters put this nation
into a tailspin, a failure the details of which the
White House fought to keep secret even as it ran the
country into hock up to the hubcaps, thanks to
generous tax cuts for the well-fixed, hoping to lead
us into a box canyon of debt that will render
government impotent, even as we engage in a war
against a small country that was undertaken for the
president's personal satisfaction but sold to the
American public on the basis of brazen misinformation,
a war whose purpose is to distract us from an enormous
transfer of wealth taking place in this country,
flowing upward, and the deception is working
beautifully.

The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of
the few is the death knell of democracy. No republic
in the history of humanity has survived this.

The election of 2004 will say something about what
happens to ours. The omens are not good.

Our beloved land has been fogged with fear - fear, the
greatest political strategy ever. An ominous silence,
distant sirens, a drumbeat of whispered warnings and
alarms to keep the public uneasy and silence the
opposition. And in a time of vague fear, you can
appoint bullet-brained judges, strip the bark off the
Constitution, eviscerate federal regulatory agencies,
bring public education to a standstill, stupefy the
press, lavish gorgeous tax breaks on the rich.

There is a stink drifting through this election year.
It isn't the Florida recount or the Supreme Court
decision. No, it's 9/11 that we keep coming back to.
It wasn't the end of innocence, or a turning point in
our history, or a cosmic occurrence, it was an event,
a lapse of security. And patriotism shouldn't prevent
people from asking hard questions of the man who was
purportedly in charge of national security at the
time.

Whenever I think of those New Yorkers hurrying along
Park Place or getting off the No.1 Broadway local,
hustling toward their office on the 90th floor, the
morning paper under their arms, I think of that non-
reader George W. Bush and how he hopes to exploit
those people with a little economic uptick, maybe the
capture of Osama, cruise to victory in November and
proceed to get some serious nation-changing done in
his second term.

This year, as in the past, Republicans will portray us
Democrats as embittered academics, desiccated
Unitarians, whacked-out hippies and communards, people
who talk to telephone poles, the party of the
Deadheads. They will wave enormous flags and wow over
and over the footage of firemen in the wreckage of the
World Trade Center and bodies being carried out and
they will lie about their economic policies with
astonishing enthusiasm.

The Union is what needs defending this year.
Government of Enron and by Halliburton and for the
Southern Baptists is not the same as what Lincoln
spoke of. This gang of Pithecanthropus Republicanii
has humbugged us to death on terrorism and tax cuts
for the comfy and school prayer and flag burning and
claimed the right to know what books we read and to
dump their sewage upstream from the town and clear-cut
the forests and gut the IRS and mark up the
institution on behalf of intolerance and promote the
corporate takeover of the public airwaves and to hell
with anybody who opposes them.

This is a great country, and it wasn't made so by
angry people. We have a sacred duty to bequeath it to
our grandchildren in better shape than however we
found it. We have a long way to go and we're not
getting any younger.

Dante said that the hottest place in Hell is reserved
for those who in time of crisis remain neutral, so I
have spoken my piece, and thank you, dear reader. It's
a beautiful world, rain or shine, and there is more to
life than winning.

Garrison Keillor is the host and writer of A Prairie
Home Companion, now in its 25th year on the air. This
adapted excerpted from Keillor's new book, "Homegrown
Democrat" (c 2004) is reprinted by arrangement with
Viking, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.

--
Robert Skinner