[Rhodes22-list] Re: Lake Wobegone (political)

eric.charles.newburger at census.gov eric.charles.newburger at census.gov
Wed Sep 8 14:44:03 EDT 2004

Thank you, Bob, for speaking up.
Enjoy your marshmellows.

Eric Newburger

                      Robert Skinner
                      <robert at squirrelhaven.c        To:       mkburk at adelphia.net
                      om>                            cc:       Rhodes 22 mail list <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
                      Sent by:                       Subject:  [Rhodes22-list] Re: Lake Wobegone (political)
                      rhodes22-list-bounces at r
                      hodes22.org

                      09/03/2004 10:31 AM
                      Please respond to The
                      Rhodes 22 mail list

keith burkhardt wrote:
> Hey pal..I knew many people who died on septemebr 11th...

Hey, Keith -

Yup, me too.  My condolences to a fellow American -- we all
share that grief.  My grandson was on duty at USMC HQ near
Arlington Cemetery when the plane hit the Pentagon.  His
wife, a Naval Academy graduate, was on duty in the Pentagon
at the time, and my great-grandchildren were in day-care
inside the Pentagon.  Fortunately, all survived, but it
certainly brought the situation home to me.

> and how fitting you use a pot smoking aging boomer of the
> 60's to express your dumbed  down views...

I think I see two attacks on people here -- on Keillor and
on myself.  This is irrelevant to the discussion, but a
typical ploy to avoid coming to grips with the issues.
It is so much easier than actually stating and supporting
a relevant position.  Back atcha, buddy.

> Obviously you would dislike Roosevelt because Pearl Harbor
> was a "lapse in security"  ..  tell that to the families and
> friends of those who died that day...

Wow! A straw man and another irrelevant issue.  First, by
dragging in Roosevelt, you are again diverting attention from
the core issue -- Bush's fitness to be president.  Second,
the allusion to the Second World War opens the door to two
statements:

1.  Then we were attacked by a centrally based foreign power,
nasty to be sure, but not the same sort of geographically
distributed gang of faith-based nut cases as in 9/11.  You
don't shoot all kids in town just because someone egged your
house.

2.  I don't have to tell anything to anyone about war.  My
father as a Navy doctor stitched Marines together at an aid
station on Bloody Ridge on Guadalcanal and received both the
Purple Heart and the Navy Cross for his actions that day.
He went on to Tulagi, etc. thereafter.  I had the privilege
of serving in the Marine Corps during the Viet Nam disaster.
My step son recently retired from the Marine Corps as a Lt.
Col.  Actions speak louder...

> your party will loose this Novemeber and loose big because
> no matter how one tries to spin Kerry's record is what it
> is ...

That implies that Kerry's record is somehow bad, but provides
no substance.  It is a tautology, logically empty.  And it
sounds like the parting shot of a defeated debater as the door
slams behind him.

> Spitballs for all

An odd name for your organization...  Your choice?

My Daddy told me not to get into a battle of wits with an
unarmed opponent.  He also defined a gentleman as a person who
never offends unintentionally.  I apologize to all but the
specific recipient of this note if I have offended you.

That said, I retire once again to the shadows with a bag of
marshmallows to wait for the flame war to subside to embers.

/Bob Skinner