[Rhodes22-list] Ocean Sailing

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Sep 10 07:51:51 EDT 2004

Gary:

	It depends on what you call ocean sailing.  If you follow this list
there are several New Jersey R22's who regularly venture into 'blue water'
for short distances and a short period of time.  Understand they are not
going far from the coast.  There are other R22's not on this list who do
regularly venture somewhat into 'blue water'.

	There is some guy who took his potter 19 from the west coast to
Hawaii.  The rhodes22 is more seaworthy than a potter is, but unless you are
trying to prove that you can accomplish the extreme, it is not the thing to
do.

	The weather is a critical factor.  As Michael pointed out, how fast
you can run from weather is important.

	Not too many years ago, I was on the breakwater on the channel
leaving Moorhead City, North Carolina.  I was watching a Coast Guard Boat
trying to leave the harbor.  All the crewmen were harnessed to the cockpit.
Waves were 8 to 10 feet.  They knew what they were doing, probably enjoying
every minute.  I would not want to be in the same type situation in a R22.
You could feel and hear the power of the water.  That is not to say that
people on this list have not been in 8 foot seas, they have.

	Do you have a boat yet?  Sometime back Chris rewrote his trip to the
Bahamas.  You need to find that and the related discussions in the archives.

Ed K