[Rhodes22-list] Ocean Sailing

David Walker david.walker5 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 12:09:55 EDT 2004

Gary,

There are three main issues to be concerned with in taking a Rhodes22  into
bluewater.

1.  Wave height and wavelength.  No matter how good the boat is, it is still
22 feet long.  Waves over about three feet tend to break over the bow.

2.  The hull flare (especially at the bow) which limits spray from smaller
waves,  limits buoyancy at the bow.  When it goes under it tends to dig in.

3.  The cockpit is very large and has relatively poor drainage.  Although
the boat would not sink, taking a breaking wave over the stern would be very
messy and would most likely break in  the hatch board and swamp the cabin as
well.

You can see that some of the design characteristics of the Rhodes22 that are
so nice to have for coastal sailing work against it in regard to ocean
sailing.

Compare a Rhodes22 to a Pacific Seacraft  Flicka to see what design choices
in a 22 foot boat are made for bluewater.  I've lookede at a Flicka, but for
the kind of coastal and daysailing I do it would not be as comfortable a
boat as the Rhodes (plus they cost even more!)

Dave Walker