[Rhodes22-list] Polotics: Welfare

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Sep 11 00:23:17 EDT 2004

Michael,

No time to go through it item by item.  But.

All of our parents get extended Medicare benefits by claiming to be "poor".  We dutifully strip them of all their assets, and claim they are indigent.  And we all let the government pay for everything.  This is the "means testing" referenced in the article you cite.  These are not young poor black people, these are our parents!

To quote from your reference "Medical assistance to low income persons cost $222 billion or 51 percent of total welfare spending."  That's our parents they are talking about, and that's 51 percent of the total you are talking about.  Once you take out the rest of the programs you say you are not including, you are left with a number very close to the number originally provided by Eric.

Now $14 billion is not chickenfeed, and one can argue that even that is too much.  But as our heritage teaches, we should leave some apples on the trees in our fields for the strangers passing by.  Do not think the strangers are getting more than a small percentage of our apples, because they are not.

Bill Effros