[Rhodes22-list] Outboards

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 11 23:14:24 EDT 2004

Thanks for all of the advice and comments.  I am mulling the options
over.
My Mercury 9.9 has electric start
and an alternator.  I hardly ever use the batteries except for running
lights and
my solar panel does fine in keeping the batteries charged, so I think
that the
alternator is unnecessary for me. The electric start is a real
convenience but
I would rather have a lighter engine that I can carry without a back
injury.  The
Honda 8 and 9.8 are about 100 pounds.  The Nissan 6 is 55.

I sail from a mooring and, if possible
I try to leave and return so that if the engine fails I can sail in
without panic.
That has happened my last two  sails.  The harbor has a north
and a south entrance, so that can be done fairly easily.  It
helps if the wind is light, sailing in a crowded mooring with a stiff
breeze can
be a challenge.  The easily adjustable sail area of the Rhodes helps
control,
and I usually use the main only and furl it down as I approach the
mooring.

thanks again for the comments

Ron