[Rhodes22-list] Bush's Service Record

Lloyd Crowther lcrowther at cox.net
Sun Sep 12 23:53:18 EDT 2004

As an interesting aside to the deserter discussion, I was a part-time cop in
a small New Hampshire town in the late '70's.  We had had a girl murdered on
one of the Town's many woods' roads long before I arrived on the scene so
one of my duties every weekend night was to drive the cruiser over all the
woods' roads, stop and identify all the lovers, and ask the girls if they
were there of their own free will.  I arrested eight or ten male military
deserters; they basically were young kids who came from elsewhere to work in
places like MacDonald's.  They always used drivers licenses for
identification, sometimes out-of-state licenses.  Apparently they thought us
rube cops had no way of checking anything except that their picture agreed
with their face, but when I radioed the male driver's license numbers in to
the NH police data base to confirm their identifications, I got all kinds of
stuff back including if they were wanted for desertion or anything else.  So
off to jail the deserters would go to wait for the Feds.  Never knew what
happened to any of them but I do know that the data base was updated every
day; a couple of Marines partying in our friendly woods with our
over-friendly local gals had been wanted for only a day or two as I recall.

Lloyd