[Rhodes22-list] Looking for a Rhodes 22

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Tue Sep 14 01:43:14 EDT 2004

Some of the people I've grown interested in on sailing mail lists, and
meeting in person, are people I would NEVER befriend were it not for
sailing. I think I'm going to design a "life jacket" that is lead lined,
weighs enough to drag the biggest wearer down, and put it on my boats
(maybe BOTH of them), with labels that say "Required attire for
political discussions while on-board". If it didn't stifle the
discussion completely, bet it would keep them at least civil.

I definitely do NOT agree with your politics, but stay quiet on here
about politics largely because I feel like a visitor (remember, I don't
own a Rhodes 22, I just boat-sit my brother's), but that comment about
the degree of understanding of the physics of sailing, and lack of that
requirements, was great.

I often wonder exactly WHAT it is I like so much about sailing. I think
I MAY have pegged it. I'm sure this won't be nearly as eloquent as
yours, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm a REAL "do something" type of parson, seldom sitting still. I work
in a high-demand, high-pressure arena (I'm a computer network
engineer),and basically keep moving the 19 or so hours I'm awake each
day. Not so much physical activity, but draining mental activity.

When I get on my boat, I get to let it all drop several degrees in
intensity. The wind pushes me along, not irate users that don't
understand that a 36gb mail server takes a while to rebuild. 3 of them
take even longer. The rules are set by nature and physics, not a boss
who knows more about what he wants than how I can get it done; and while
the circumstances of those natural rules may change, they are always
consistent and fair in their demands.

I guess though, that the biggest thing about sailing is that I can use
those same logical and mental facilities that get me by professionally,
but at a level much closer to nature than what I get dealing with
systems that operate at speeds beyond the comprehension of even those,
like me, that make a living at it.

I feel a calming peace in being part of a natural combination of the
water, the boat, the wind, and a human to make them all work together.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  O'Day 25

S/V Reve de Papa
  Coronado 35

>>> bill at effros.com 9/13/2004 8:24:13 AM >>>
Thanks, Herb,

I like my writing much better when it's about sailing than when it's
about politics, too.  But I honestly believe that no matter what your
political persuasion, the current administration must be seen as
dangerous and duplicitous, and that it's un-American not to speak up
about it.

I don't know if you were on this list when I fought the decision to
permit politics, but I fought that as hard as I'm fighting this.  I have
mixed feelings about the outcome.  Most of the time this is one of the
best political forums on the net.  Even our tolerance of intolerance is
interesting.

We are 200+ people with nothing in common but a boat.  When I want to
know what's going on in this country I come to this list.

Thanks for your kind words.  I'm in love with sailing, my boat is the
best toy I've ever owned, and I adore Stan.  Sometimes that comes
through.

Bill Effros