[Rhodes22-list] Sean G

Sean G seang1989 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 11:18:43 EDT 2004

Hi Ed,

Everyone here has been so nice.  I'm in Merrimack New Hampshire.  I guess I should have mentioned that.  My wife Susan and I will be married 20 years this coming February.  We also have a dog named Willow and no children.

We currently have a camping trailer in a seasonal park near Lake Winnipasaukee where we spend our weekends and vacations.  The camp is less than a mile from the lake and I frequently go out on my friends power boats, but I really love to watch the sail boats.  Sometimes I just find a place to watch the boats sail.

My friends with powerboats tell me I'm crazy, it's too much work, but when I go out with them we go as fast as we can to our destination and then just sit, then go back as fast as we can.  I like the getting there part.  I know a sailboat will be work and I'm looking forward to it.

My goal is to get a boat that I can sail by myself, (my dog will most likely always be with me, but she's not much help really).  I want to be able to sail around the lake and explore coves and stuff, but also be able to anchor, eat lunch, relax and read, maybe escape the sun either in a cabin or with a bimini.  The portapotti is also a big deal, for my wife.  I'd like to be able to comfortably sail with 4 or maybe 6 tightly.  It would be nice to be out on the boat with friends and lounge and swim.

I made many mistakes shopping for a camping trailer, we are on our 4th one in 5 years and finally got what we want, it's amazing how many little things add up.  I don't want to make the same mistake with the boat, I'm sure over time there will be things I want or want to change but I want to be close to a boat that is comfortable, relatively easy to maintain and affordable.

We don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a boat but I'm not afraid of elbow grease and I'm very handy.  I need something I can trailer because slips run $65 a foot this season per month and they are hard to come by.  There are no moorings on our side of the lake.  I've seen literally 100's of boats for under $2,000, many with trailers and motors that look good, but I want to know what I should be looking for and I have no clue or at least I didn't until I started to do some digging.

I think I'm confident I don't want a large, swing or winged keel.  I don't want a big centerboard that gives me a draft of 5 or 6 feet.  The keel/centerboard combo on the Rhodes seems to make sense.

Someone recommended the Rhodes 22 and what I really liked about it was that most if not all upgrades have been done to the original design so it's much like a Volvo my favorite car.  What I have read has made sense and if I can make an educated decision I will feel better.  I want to know what I'm getting into.

So I'm looking for alot of boat on a tight budget.  If I can get one that needs to be cleaned and have some cosmetic work done no problem.  If the sails are stained or dirty but still usable until I can purchase new ones at a later date, no problem.  Am I totally sunk here or is what I'm asking for possible?

I'm sure that every boat Stan sells is top of the line, but I don't have $10K for a refurbished boat even with a 2 year warranty, at least not now.  If anyone can offer me advice I would be grateful.  Heck I'd be thrilled to go for a ride or crew for a day.

Sean

ed kroposki <ekroposki at charter.net> wrote:
Sean:

Life is quite simple as long as you do not listen to or believe Dan Rather.
As you may be aware, Dan has been making a living off forged copies these
days.

Whereas with Stan you get an original Phil Rhodes hard copy. You get what
you pay for. Only buyers know what quality and the real thing is worth.

You did not tell us where you are. There are people on this list from all
over. Maybe you just want to see what the real thing is.

Are you familiar with: http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA