[Rhodes22-list] Roger's T-Handle Field Expedient Method

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Sep 21 20:20:57 EDT 2004

Slim,

Before I installed the GBI single-handed mast raising system, I used my two
sons pulling on a T-Handle on the forestay while I helped from the cockpit,
to raise & lower the mast.  At the time, the boys were a little young, so it
was helpful if their combined horsepower could be brought to bear against
the load.  The attached picture shows my T-Handle setup on my forestay,
ready for use.  The T-Handle permits more than one person to get a good
solid grip for pulling on the forestay.  Now that the boys are older, they
have the good sense to usually not be around when its time to raise or lower
the mast.  So, the T-Handle does not get much use these days & I usually
have to take the time to rig up the GBI single handed mast raising system.
If the human horsepower is available, the T-Handle is much quicker.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium