[Rhodes22-list] anne

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 07:22:21 EDT 2004

Anne,

It's only been in the last year or so that I don't
have a dream every night about Leipers Fork.  I almost
tripled my money in five years and the property is
back on the market at twice what I sold it for.  It's
being advertised as the "highest point in Leipers
Fork", which it is.  I don't give a shit about the
money - I miss my tractor and the view.

I looked at some row crop land near Pickwick.  It goes
from $800 to $1200 per acre but for those of us from
the Midwest, its pretty shabby looking soil.  The
"CoraShen" is berthed downwind from the Champion Intl.
box plant.  I hate the place.  They buy up huge tracks
of land and then just rape it of anything growing for
pulp.  You have to keep your opinions to yourself in
the local bars near the lake because so many locals
work there.  I love the environment but I also
treasure my head being attached.  Anyway, you can buy
cut-over timberland for $500 per acre.  The Department
of Defense and the Department of Agriculture did a
joint study at the Oak Ridge Lab on growing hybrid
poplar, willows, and switchgrass as a permaculture
energy supply.  There's no money to be made but it
would be an alternative to a mono-culture of loblolly
pines. I've got a realtor keeping her eye on
properties within 20 minutes of the lake. Mostly I
just want an excuse to buy another tractor, this time
with a cab, air-conditioning, and a CD player.  Kubota
has a 40hp very simular to my last one with all the
bells and whistles.  That's how I stumbled on to your
brother's site.

Cora loves the boat.  When she's topside you have to
watch her cause she wants to jump overboard.  She'll
entertain herself in the salon for hours.  Fan doesn't
like to sail but she loves cruising on the "diesel
ginny".  Maybe if she went sailing with someone that
doesn't bitch so much, like you perhaps, she might
really get into it.

The last thing I want is a bigger boat.  Everytime I'm
on one I think, "gee, I should have bought a bigger
boat"!  Then, when I cleaning mine I think, "man, I'm
damn glad I don't own a bigger boat".

Brad Haslett