[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Facts

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Sep 22 11:17:43 EDT 2004

Bill:
	The problem is what you assert to be a fact is really just others
opinions or assertions which can not be proven by generally accepted
standards.  You cite New York Times reporting as fact.  When often all they
are reporting is assertions and comments by others which were not recorded
at the time by independent unbiased sources.  When I read newspapers like
the New York Times, or my local paper, I keep in mind that New York Times
reporter who was fired for just making up facts.  Have you forgotten?  Use
the following for an overview for "fact".

The noun "fact" has 4 senses in WordNet.

1. fact -- (a piece of information about circumstances that exist or events
that have occurred; "first you must collect all the facts of the case")
2. fact -- (a statement or assertion of verified information about something
that is the case or has happened; "he supported his argument with an
impressive array of facts")
3. fact -- (an event known to have happened or something known to have
existed; "your fears have no basis in fact"; "how much of the story is fact
and how much fiction is hard to tell")
4. fact -- (a concept whose truth can be proved; "scientific hypotheses are
not facts".)
	When I use the work fact, I generally want a observation recorded by
more than one person.  I want to be able to sort fact from opinion.  It is
important to keep in mind the experiment of asking blindfolded people to
describe an elephant by touching just one different part.  Same elephant,
very different observations.

Ed K