[Rhodes22-list] Re: Pointing

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Sep 23 03:26:17 EDT 2004

Peter,

Hold on, thar!  "Lift" from the keel, CB and rudder?  The underwater
appendages are symmetrical with the hull and cannot provide any lift.  They
only serve to prevent lee way, or to provide lateral resistance.  That part
I agree with.  Brad might have a better description, but lift happens when
air (or presumably water) has to travel farther around one side than the
other, creating a difference in pressure between the two sides.  Lift is
created by the curved shape of the sail or airplane wing and will stall if
not going fast enough.  The keel, CB and rudder do not have that kind of
shape.  I'm with you on the rest as far as pinching vs. pointing goes, but
it's the sails that stall out, not the keel, CB or rudder.

Slim