[Rhodes22-list] Re: Pointing

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 23 06:54:17 EDT 2004

Slim,

As I understand it, the lift from the underwater fins of a sailboat derives
from the cockeyed angle that most sailboats actually present to their true
windward course.  Sailboats do not point in the exact direction they are
moving, since leeway causes them to "crab off" a little to leeward.  If you
have Dennis Conner's 1994 book "Learn to Sail", there is a sketch on p 104
that shows this effect.  As a result, the bow points a tiny bit to windward
of the course the boat is really moving.  This angle will result in the
trailing (aft) windward edge of the foil developing turbulence and a
slightly longer path for the waterflow, and thus lift.

Although the fins are symmetrical (so they can work on either tack) and not
as efficient as asymmetrical airplane wings are, they can still provide a
small amount of lift.  A slight amount of weather helm (have you heard it
said to tune your boat to have a slight amount of weather helm?) will
generate some rudder lift, since the rudder is held a tiny bit off
centerline to compensate for the w/h.

Perhaps this could be inspiration for Stan's next R22 development
breakthrough:  asymmetrical twin centerboards!  Raising and lowering boards
every time one tacks may not be so popular, but my guess would be that if
any interested prospective R22 buyers have the money, Stan could find the
time.

Slim, I am not an engineer but a general contractor with a life-long passion
for sailing-- so I read a lot about it.  Perhaps Roger or Brad could offer a
more scientific explanation.

Fair winds,

PT