[Rhodes22-list] Outboards

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Sep 23 18:12:41 EDT 2004

Steve,

Well let's see, you say my engine is dead with no hope for repair.  There's
no wind, so I'm in no danger.  If I'm being pushed somewhere I don't like by
a current, I think I'll drop anchor.  If the water's too deep to anchor, I
think I'll slow my drift with my sea anchor.  Did my ship's VHF + handheld
VHF radios + cell phone also quit working?  If not, I guess I'll call for
help & crack a beer while I wait for it to arrive.  Am I in a busy channel?
Well, then I won't have very long to wait.  Assuming no one is around & I
can't call for help either, I guess I'll just crack a beer & wait for the
wind to pick up.  I have food, water, beer, a place to sleep, a place to
cook, a stereo to listen to tunes, usually books to read, & a porta-potti on
board.  What else do I need?   It wouldn't be the 1st time I've altered my
sailing schedule to suit the circumstances.  It also wouldn't be the 1st
time I've sailed up to a dock.  What's the big deal?

You shouldn't get to depending upon your engine too much.  Remember, the
Rhodes 22 can be sailed in much worse conditions than it can be motored in.
This is advise from a guy who upgraded his outboard from a long shaft to an
extra long shaft when I bought the Honda 8 just to get a little more heavy
weather motoring capability.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium