[Rhodes22-list] Outboards: Oh God, not again!

Jim White jdwhite at utpa.edu
Thu Sep 23 17:42:47 EDT 2004

Hey Rummy
(In a timid voice...yea right!)..... I have a 4 stroke Honda 9.9 on Le
Menagerie. It's an older model ('98 I believe), and well used. I bought it
second hand after I bought the boat. It has a broken off flange on the
lower unit, the cowl paint is really gross (you can only read the Ho of
Honda on one side, I guess I have a real 'ho for an engine), and looks like
it's been run hard and put away wet a few times, but it's been real
reliable all season, and I have no reason to cuss it. I usually only motor
out and back in from our narrow harbor outlet, but I have used it for
several hours one day when the wind quit and left me about 3 miles offshore
and another 7 or eight up the bay from my homeport. It always (knock on
wood) starts with the slightest nudge of the starter, or pull on the rope
when I run the battery too low. The only problem I've had was a stuck
carburetor float one time, and that was a real easy fix. I've had no oil
use or loss, and can't complain with the power output. I'm definitely happy
with my $800 investment.

Now it's about time for me to retire back for the one thing most of us
agree is good: A tall, cool refreshing rum drink.

jw
Jim White
Le Menagerie