[Rhodes22-list] Fred's Sails

SVGravityLeak at aol.com SVGravityLeak at aol.com
Fri Sep 24 11:34:39 EDT 2004

Ed,

To be sure I get your questions all addressed, pls see my answers below.

Fred

In a message dated 9/24/04 9:21:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ekroposki at charter.net writes:

> Fred:
>
>   Are you going to replace the sacrificial canvass yourself or have a
> loft or Sailcare fix it?  Or are you going buy a new sail?

A SailCare fix seems best--the local Doyle loft came up short the first time
around.

>   That being said, my question that you never answered was do you have
> a centerboard or diamond board.  But I think that you have answered the
> question by telling us the condition of your Genny.  If you had a diamond
> board, your sails should be newer and therefore not deteriorated.  So may I
> conclude that you have a centerboard?

No, I have a diamond board on a 1993 model.

>   Does your boat have inside sheeting tracks, fairleads or cleats on
> the outside cabin wall?

Yep, got it all.

Since I have the inside tracks, I can adjust the

> cars which have blocks to maintain leech tension on the 175.  I have
> concluded that with the tracks, I can maintain better sail shape by
> adjusting the cars to keep the leech tight and well angled when sheeting
> inside.

Right on.  Yesterday, I was a little over powered when the gusts heeled the
boat to 20 deg.  But since the boat didn't head up and stall, I didn't feel furl
ing was needed.  Actually, I find I most consistently point at about 50 deg
of true wind with the genny at 175.

I use the inside  track only when the wind is stronger and I need to
de-power.  Without the inside track, I couldn't point at all into a 20+ knot wind.
Furling down enough to use the inside track distorts the forward surface of the
sail so much, its hard to get it to drive at all.  The best I point using the
inside track is about 60 deg.  I think that's more due to the partially furled
genny improving the lift of the main.

>   Even with the sails outside, maybe the condition of the sails is a
> big factor in your pointing.  The tighter I get my Genny, the better I
> point, even at 175.  I have not figured out how to get the foot as tight as
> the leech.  If I use a balance approach, the leech is not tight enough.  I
> can see why those who race get the 'new' high tech sails.

On my genny, there is a painted line dividing the angle between the foot and
leech edges of the sail.  My sailing instructor in college told me the sheet
should extend straight out from that line when pointing.  Following that rule
has served me well over the years.  Of course, keeping the leech and foot
tension lines equally tight is a good idea, too.