[Rhodes22-list] Bill's Gas Consumption

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Sep 24 15:46:56 EDT 2004

Roger,

Nobody sails in the East River who's got a lick of sense.

It does reach 6 knots, depending on the tides, and it reverses every 6 hours.

The major NYC prison is on an island in the middle of it.  The last time I checked, no one had ever escaped from the prison by swimming and lived.

It's not really a river, it's a tidal estuary.

I have stood on the Brooklyn Bridge, which goes over it, for hours and watched dopes in large sailboats fight the current, going virtually nowhere, dodging the commercial traffic (which of course is all coming the other way), with almost no control over their boats, trying to avoid getting dashed against bridge pilings.  You can't put your boat broadside to the current if you don't have any weigh on. (way on?) (Waylon?) (Whale on?) (But I digress.)

You sail in New York Harbor--around the Statue of Liberty, up the Hudson, over to New Jersey...

Or on the other end you sail into Long Island Sound.  I spend most of my time sailing in Greenwich on LIS, but we have a place in Brooklyn where I would like to spend more sailing time, moving the boat back and forth by water.  I have alluded to this change in sailing plans often, and it is the only reason I am considering changing engines.  If I start to go back and forth, just like Phyllis, I will motor most of the way.

Tow your boat here with your boys one summer, and we'll show you the urban time of your life.

Bill