[Rhodes22-list] Bill's Gas Consumption

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Sep 24 16:38:55 EDT 2004

Roger,

I keep my boat in Greenwich.  The entire LIS system has the same problem as the East River, just not as extreme.  Most places have 1 to 2 kt. currents.  Where my boat is moored I constantly have a 2 kt. current except during slack time.  We average a 7 to 9 foot tidal variation.  All that water has got to go somewhere, and some of the places it has to go through are very shallow and narrow, hence the great speed and power.

These currents are every where, and they vary with the depth of the bottom, among other things.  I can do 2 knots when I'm sailing with no wind and no motor.  I exceed "hull speed" all the time, because my hull is not going through the water as fast as it is going over land.

It can take me 1 1/2 times as long to get home as it should if a current is running against me.

These are all things sailors need to know when they are sailing in these systems.

Nobody understands them perfectly.

Remember when you sailed through the Gulf Stream?  Same deal.  You can't conduct a meaningful fuel consumption test in those real world conditions because they do change the outcome, especially dramatically on small boats.

But my main point is now, as it has always been, that the amount of fuel most of us use is so insignificant that changing engines is not the best contribution we can each make to improving the environment.

Bill