[Rhodes22-list] Bill Effros - Another Alternative For Electric Drive

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sat Sep 25 13:46:08 EDT 2004

Bill,

You might want to take a look at the following web page:

http://www.abcpm.co.uk/pages/vetus_pages/thrusters.html

This web page will give you some data on Vetus bow thrusters.  Vetus makes
12 VDC thrusters rated at up to 209 lbs thrust & 5.4 kw.  Vetus also makes a
couple of 24 VDC models rated at 352 lbs thrust & 7 kw and a whopping 484
lbs thrust & 12 kw!  Thus, you can get sufficiently big off-the-shelf
electric thrusters to get your boat's performance to be roughly equivalent
to a 9.9 hp outboard if you wish.  These are continuous duty ratings & the
motors are variable speed & reversible.  Another advantage is that Vetus
also offers all the control hardware & these units are designed for marine
use.

Note: These thrust vs. kw relationships are in same range as my earlier
calculation & gives a little more confidence in my estimate.

Note: The price for these bow thrusters will suddenly make your outboard
look like a really good deal!  That's even before you've purchased the
genset.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium