[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Goals

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 25 21:49:36 EDT 2004

Bob,

After posting early this morning,  I began searching
through my library for "Sleeping With the Devil:How
Washington Sold Our Soul for Crude", by Robert Baer
for a reference.  It seems this book has developed
"feet", or perhaps it was loaned, or my 2 1/2 year old
re-shelved it for me.  Anyway, I stumbled across a
different  book that is a collection of essays written
shortly after 9/11.  The author of "An Autum of War",
Victor Hanson, is a professor of Classical Studies at
California State University - Fresno.  Professor
Hanson stated in an essay written December 2001 what I
think is the essense of my argument supporting the war
in Iraq.

"Nearly all the promised utopias of the past-facism,
communism, third-world liberationist kleptocracy, and
Islamic theocracy-have now had their day and failed
miserably before the eyes of billions.  A Westernized
and secular minority in the Middle East knows that the
future lies only with freedom and democracy.  While
hostile in a variety of ways to America, it is perhaps
still the only hope of millions.  America must stand
ready to go to war with any country of the region that
kills our citizens, and stand aloof from all the
illegitimate governments of the Middle East Bloc..."

As President Bush stated last week to the UN, " For
too long, many nations, including my own, tolerated,
even excused, oppression in the Middle East in the
name of stability. Oppression became common, but
stability never arrived.  We must take a different
approach.  We must help the reformers of the Middle
East as they work for freedom, and strive to build a
community of peaceful, democratic nations."

We have mislabled this war as a war on terrorism.
Terror is but one of the weapons used. The reality is
that it is a war on Islamic militantism, no less an
important fight than the "isms" stated above that we
sucessfully defeated in the twentieth century. The
defeat of radical Islam is our goal. Iraq is but one
battle.  Our efforts to find a negotiated peace will
be no more successful than was Chamberlin's.
Churchill understood.

To quote John Kennedy at his inaugural address
referring to  the threat of communism, "Let every
nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we
shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any
hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order
to assure the survival and the success of liberty".

Our challenge is no less.

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"