[Rhodes22-list] A fix for the short furler

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk at TRW.COM
Tue Sep 28 11:53:23 EDT 2004

OK I accept your engineering evaluation.

I have 1 inch OD aluminum tubing that fits tightly inside the 1 .04 ID
Furler tube.

I would put a 4 inch section of the 1.0 inch OD tubing inside the
furling tube and secure it with six 1/8 pop rivets. three each side of
joint equally spaced around the diameter.

Comments?
Bob

>>> cen09402 at centurytel.net 09/28/04 09:21AM >>>
Bob,

Unfortunately, torque does not work that way.  Think about the drive
shaft
on your car.  The entire torque of the engine goes in at the front of
the
driveshaft & it comes out at the rear when it enters the differential.
I'm
concerned your design will not stand up to the load for very long.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium