[Rhodes22-list] Politics - chiaroscuro

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Sep 30 11:56:30 EDT 2004

Steve Alm wrote:
> Other liberals: me, you, Bill, Saroj, Lou, Todd, Anne, Lloyd, Skinner
> (although I still don't know what "chiaroscuro" means) Wally (claims to be a
> conservative but I think he's just "southern" but will vote for Kerry) and
> possibly Ralph Zeto.
> Slim Chance,  lead singer for "Cool Duty"

Slim -

Sounds about right.  Sailors tend to be conservative,
but wouldn't be alive if they didn't think.  As to
my language -- I did read a dictionary under the covers
with a flashlight when I was a kid.  Every now and then
I take my vocabulary out for a spin and blow the carbon
out.

>From Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary:

Main Entry: chiar·oscu·ro
Pronunciation: -'skyur-(")O, -'skur-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ros
Etymology: Italian, from chiaro clear, light
    + oscuro obscure, dark
Date: 1686

1 : pictorial representation in terms of light
     and shade without regard to color

2 a : the arrangement or treatment of light and
     dark parts in a pictorial work of art

  b : the interplay or contrast of dissimilar
     qualities (as of mood or character)

3 : a 16th century woodcut technique involving
     the use of several blocks to print different
     tones of the same color; also : a print made
     by this technique

4 : the interplay of light and shadow on or as if
     on a surface

5 : the quality of being veiled or partly in shadow

My point was that we will never know enough to make
a completely rational decision about the Iraq war.
I doubt that anyone ever did.  All these decisions
are made in the semi-dark, all issues are shades of
gray.

Ultimately, it comes down to a gut decision -- who
do you trust?

Keep on posting -- musicians have an interesting view
of the world.  I know; I married one.
--
Robert Skinner