[Rhodes22-list] Politics - Spanish ain't got no "CH"

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Sep 30 12:26:24 EDT 2004

Jim White wrote:
> In Spanish the word "chiaroscuro" means literally "crying in the dark".....
> Jim White
> Le Menagerie

Perhaps, but there is no mention of the word in the
Diccionario General Ilustrado de la Lengua Espanola.
It is also absent from the Harper Collins Spanish-
English Dictionary.

This is not unexpected, as the Spanish language has
very few words that begin with the letters "ch".

It may be that in the mixed Spanish, Mayan, Incan,
Mexican and Americanized argot of the Southwest
area, there is a corruption of the word with
unhappy connotations, but the word originated in
Italy in the 1600s, according to Merriam-Webster.

Ot you may be just pulling my leg.

In any case, I explained what I meant in a recent
post.

/Bob Skinner